Monday, June 22, 2009

Another day...

Well, today was MORTIFYING!!!! The worst moment of Mommyhood, thus far. We just got back from Alabama, so our fridge was completely empty. Grayson and I decided to do a harmless shopping trip to Walmart. Now, Grayson is WILD. RAMBUNCTIOUS. ANTSY. (Insert your own word here). He WILL NOT sit in the basket with a seat belt, so I let him ride in the cart (ignoring the warning sign they place on all shopping carts) but it has worked out well so far.

Today, I was simply reaching for a loaf of bread, turning my back for five brief seconds, just to turn around in time to see my son nose dive out of the shopping cart and hit his head on the floor. (It looked awful, I honestly thought he broke his neck for a few seconds.) But, two Walmart workers just happened to be walking by when it happened so they jump on their walkie-talkies and call a bunch of people over with a first aid kit and paper work. The store manager comes and makes me fill out a statement paper, and then she kept asking me, "Now you DIDN'T have him strapped in, correct?" She asked me that like five times, as if making sure I knew the whole incident was my fault. I was so grateful though, a passerby just happened to be an EMT so she came over and checked out Grayson and she actually snapped at the manager, pointing out that their shopping cart didn't even have a seat belt on it. Finally, they warned me about the signs of concussions, brought me a new cart with a seat belt, then told me they would be calling tomorrow and left after asking me if I was sure Grayson didn't need an icepack. I was just waiting for her to give me the "worst mother of the year" award, the way she was treating me. After they left, the EMT lady said, "Don't let them bother you, they're just worried about getting sued. All three of my kids have had broken noses and arms by falling off of stuff... that's just what kids do. "
It was nice to have someone there be a little understanding or sympathetic. I KNOW it was my fault (and partially my wild child's fault) for falling out of the cart. But still... it was so embarrassing. I guess I am officially inducted into the Motherhood club. Luckily Grayson didn't even get a bruise. I won't be stepping foot in a store for a while.

8 comments:

Emily said...

Oh Krystle!! That sucks! I feel so bad for you. If it makes you feel any better, Branch JUMPED out of his high chair twice, both time needing stiches!!

I am dreading the day Little Miss does something like that too! I am just sorry that yours had to be so public!

The Baker Bunch said...

Been there, done that! Well sort of. When lizzie was about 18 months, Joel and I were at walmart and had put a ball in the cart for Lizzie. She was being miss independent and was walking around holding our hands, with the occasional running away. Well I left to look at material and Joel took Lizzie to get wiper blades. Next thing I knew I heard my baby screaming at the top of her lungs, and Joel running towards me looking as white as a ghost. Apparently while Joel was finding the right blades, Lizzie decided to climb into the cart to get the ball. Joel said that hearing her head hit to ground was the worst sound he had ever heard. And yes about 5 workers came and took our statement. I felt awful. Part of me wanted to hold up a sign that pointed to Joel that said "Daddy's Fault," just so people would stop staring. Hahaha, but it was just as much my fault for not being there. Anyway, She lived through it and you will go back to walmart, eventually. Welcome to the Mommy Club!

KymandKalab said...

Glad he is okay! And I agree with the EMT- all kids do that sort of thing. My mom had 4 boys who were always getting hurt. One time a nurse was going to turn her into child services but luckily the doctor she had knew her and knew she wasn't beating up her kids! Ha ha. They were really just worried about getting sued- you are a good mommy so don't feel bad about it!

Cherry said...

HA!(Not that your story is funny) but I wouldn't feel too bad about not straping him in NO ONE straps their kids in. And, well now he's learned what happens when you try to get out of the cart, and he probably won't do it again! Carter fell out too, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, you aren't a bad mother! :)

Mom Ricks said...

How awful! I'm so sorry that Grayson fell, and I'm really sorry you had to go through the interrogation (how do you spell that?) I'm very glad that the EMT was there and put it in perspective for you. You'll be more relaxed with baby #2.

Kathy said...

Lance refuses to sit it the seat too with the seat belt. Besides, a good majority of the carts are missing part or all of the seat belt or it's broken, so how do they expect you to strap them in. I agree that it will probably be a long time before he tries that again.

I try to go shopping alone without Lance if possible. I can get done much faster when he's not with me since I'm not chasing him all over the store. I'm happy to hear that he was just fine.

Dave & Ashley said...

You are defenitly NOT a bad mother. I see people that all the time. And most of the stupid shopping carts dont have seat belts. And the ones that do kids hate them. Im glad he is ok. It sounds like you handled it well. We miss you guys.

The Peterson's said...

Cairo has done that! Yay, for growing moments!