Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Jaye can hear now!

    Jaye has been receiving toddler developmental services since October of last year. She just wasn't talking very well... or much... so the team who worked with her tested her inner ears on four different occasions. Each time, she failed the test (meaning she had fluid build-up). They made a file of all her tests and mailed it to her pediatrician so when I took her in and explained that she had failed the tympanogram several times, we could get her ears checked. 

     All the doctor did was clap his hands then said, "See... she heard that. She's fine." And sent me on my way. HUFF. (reason number one why I don't miss Carlsbad). Now in Rexburg, the new developmental team working with my daughter couldn't believe my "brilliant" pediatrician, and suggested I try an Ear, Nose, and Throat Doctor. Which we did last week.

     The Doctor barely glanced at the Tympanogram results and told me she needed tubes in her ears. So this morning, we all got up at 5:30, dropped Grayson off at a babysitter, and me and the girls drove to the Surgical Center. I was expecting a MUCH MORE traumatic experience but it was very nice.





My little trooper was scared when we first set her in the hospital bed.

 But she had an AWESOME nurse! This guy blew her up the biggest balloon glove I've ever seen!
  After that, she was as happy as can be. He even drew a happy face for her! She was throwing it to everyone, and I have to say, they were quite smitten with her.
 The actual surgery only lasted about 15 minutes, they were a little concerned because no one could get her to wake up. They thought it was because of the anesthesia, but I'm pretty sure my sound sleeper was just making up for an early morning.
So, the Doctor said the fluid in her ears caused about 30% hearing loss, and everything she heard sounded like she was underwater. He said most kids with speech delays will blossom quickly after getting tubes because they can actually hear, so I can't wait to see how my little monkey does! I just feel frustrated that I tried to fix this months ago... but I also feel so blessed we were able to get it done.

No comments: