Monday, March 18, 2013

GREEN For the Day

Sometimes, I can't wait for my kids (Grayson) to start school. But today was one of those days, where the magic of childhood just makes me wish I could keep them young and at home forever. I'm grateful for my Mom who always made a big deal out of holidays, even Saint Patrick's Day, for a family who is in no way genetically connected to Ireland at all.

I let the kids stay up Saturday night, past bedtime, to build our annual Leprechaun trap. I'm so bummed I forgot to take pictures, but pretty much it looked just like last year's lego contraption. It was the first magical moment, seeing my two kids sit and work together for a common goal, while laughing! A RARE occasion at our house.

The following day, I woke up to Grayson's excitement. The Leprechaun came! Unfortunately, we didn't catch it this year, but he left a trail of "gold" all over the house. The kids had a blast finding it all.

 Laycee found one piece, sat down and popped it in her mouth before we caught her (just like Mommy). I love her little chocolate face.
 I need to remember for next year... Grayson was pretty disappointed that the Leprechaun didn't leave a note this year. Last year the Leprechaun wrote them a tiny little note and left it in the trap. I hope he remembers to do that next year!
After the gold hunt, I blasted Celtic music as we colored St. Patrick's Day cards for the kids to give to their teachers at church, then made green jello poke cupcakes for dessert. Then Daddy and I got our aprons on and started on a very green breakfast- green pancakes with green whipped cream, green eggs, and green milk.


Grayson was sad we didn't dye the bacon green. That sounds soooo gross.

Yes, I even took a picture of the green milk.


After church, we ate the cupcakes (BEFORE dinner, oops!) and then took some around to our neighbors. I had a great family home evening planned about the history of St. Patrick. He taught the Irish about the Godhead, using a Shamrock to explain Heavenly Father, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost. I even made a cute worksheet for everyone to color.

 But I kind of fell asleep on the couch.

And Barry put the kids to bed alone.

 I guess we'll have a post-holiday family home evening tonight. But it was a Fantastic, non-Irish Family Day!

No comments: