Monday, December 7, 2009

Peace.

I have had the opportunity of joining a 6 person women's choir in town. I was sort of skeptical at first, being that the other five women are at least double my age, but ages aside, we sound REALLY good together. It has been such a blessing, giving me that needed outlet from mommyhood.

In answer to my friend Emily, we are able to squeeze rehearsals in Fridays at four. Barry watches Grayson and I take Jaye for just an hour or so, and it has worked out swimmingly.

This past Sunday, we "debuted" at the First United Methodist Church Christmas Party. The woman who started the group belongs to that church and that is where we rehearse, so naturally that is where we performed. We are performing again for a city function the day before Valentine's Day, but the group is hoping to get our name out enough to have our very own concert some time in March.

Although I am sooooooo excited to be apart of the group which is undecidedly "Belle-issimo" or "LaBelle", the purpose for blogging this is this...

I was sooooooo grateful to attend the Methodist Church' Christmas Program. I don't know if you have noticed, but this world is an extremely scary place... and getting ever more scary. Sometimes, the challenge to raise my kids to be good people seems impossible. Like just mine and my husband's personal faith verses the ENTIRE world's "teachings". It was such a peaceful feeling to go to a church that was not my own and see them standing for the same things I believe in. To see the small children stand up and sing "This little light of mine" and the teenagers narrating the event, and the adults singing about the Christmas season. Or just seeing how many people filled the sanctuary (the chapel). Even though we aren't the same faith, I felt at home in their beautiful sanctuary, standing with others who are standing for something. My kids have a fighting chance afterall... :)

4 comments:

Becktacular Duo! said...

I love this post and totally agree! Living in the Midwest, there are a lot of good solid Christian people who have high standards and make the world a better place to live in.

Congrats on the women's choir, sounds fun! Post pics of it soon!

Emily said...

You still amaze me! Can you record a song and put it online for us?

The Peterson's said...

Yay for singing and peace! There are great people everywhere!

Sarah said...

I wish I could come listen to you guys, except you live in New Mexico!! I have always loved your voice. I will always remember the very first time I heard you sing. It was our first year at Western and you sang "It's a Fine, Fine Line..." I'm not sure what the real name is, but I seriously have envied your voice ever since then!