Friday, February 19, 2010

Life's not fair.

You know what I really hate? Pet stores.

Since we couldn't have pets when we lived in an apartment, we would take Grayson to the store all the time, so he could grow up used to animals. So it's sort of a tradition of ours now... we go to the pet store about twice a month. BUT, every time we go, they are selling puppies. And puppies are like babies... in cages... with fur. And if you think caged, furry babies are cute then you see my dilemma. I want one! I want all of them! The last time we went, they were selling an "Apple Head Chiauaua (there are way too many vowels in my attempt to spell that!)" and it basically looked like an electricuted hampster... or an electricuted baby... with fur. It was adorable! But I HATE, no I LOATHE those yappy little things (when they aren't so adorable!) so I had a little restraint.

Another time, there were Korean Jindos, BEAUTIFUL PUPPIES! I really wanted one, but Barry reminded me that our back fence is broken thus unsafe for a doggy. We found out later that those puppies which were selling for 50 Bucks, are really worth 1000 Bucks! We missed such a great deal!

And then today, we walk into the store... and are greeted by the sweetest little brown puppy. It started shaking when it saw us, and wagging its tail. The owner said I could hold it, and I did. The whole time we were there. It's face had a line down the middle, one side was brown and one side was white. They called it "Two-Face" but we named him, Harvey. (As in Harvey Dent... who becomes Two-Face in Batman. Yeah yeah... we're nerds.) So, me and Harvey wandered around the store, and the whole time he quietly nestled in my arms and licked my face. And I fell in love.

But Barry, being the cold, heartless (AKA reasonable and realistic) man that he is, reminded me of that DARNED fence, and that right now is not a good time for us to buy a puppy. So begrudgingly, I locked little Harvey back in his cold, loveless pen, and left a piece of my heart with him.

Maybe I should start picturing my baby as a puppy.

Without fur.

Or the cage.

Or... maybe I should just stop going to the pet store.

4 comments:

Elise said...

love this post. lol. i love puppies too. at the store. just don't want to take them home.

KymandKalab said...

I'm with ya Krystle. A couple years ago Kalab was working on some maintenance at the pound and they had a black labrador puppy who was deaf. I never even saw him in person, just pictures, and I almost cried when Kalab said we couldn't have another dog. I felt so bad for him. I was so scared he would get put down because he was deaf and no one would want him. Kalab kept tabs on him and he went to the humane society and someone adopted him. Even if he lied about it I'm glad he did because it would have broken my heart to hear otherwise.

The Peterson's said...

Fun! I do the same thing with Cairo and I too want to take them home. Then I go home and right now I am living with a dog and I hit reality that I love puppies not so much dogs.

Christina said...

you are so cute! Hey you can come visit my puppy anytime. especially right now while I'm uncapable of being a realy person. She is starved for attention. but - you might be glad for a broken fence, they are so much work!