Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Hi. My name is Krystle. And I'm an over-doer

    I have always been one of those people who likes to overdo everything… it’s something I got from my mom. If we are going to have a party… We. Are. Going. To. Have. A. Party. Celebrations are a big deal in this household. Halloween is no exception! Yesterday, my three children and I braved Wal-mart in order to buy our week’s menu of Halloween-themed dinners ( a tradition we started last year). When we got home I “had to” make Laycee’s Halloween costume (notice I put “had to” in quotations. I know that you never HAVE to make a costume for an infant, who doesn’t care and doesn’t appreciate it… but like I said, I am over-doer.) Then I “had to” make Halloween dinner # 1: French toast (I used Halloween cookie cutters to shape the bread into Ghosts, pumpkins, haunted houses, bats, and coffins.) After the kids went to bed, I “had to” make my Trunk-or-Treat decorations. And then I “had to” play the piano for two hours.



    What does playing the piano have to do with Halloween, you ask? Nothing. I’m simply trying to explain why I forgot my “Take you back, Tuesdays!” Blog. So Welcome to “Remember When, Wednesday!”


     I don’t know about you, but the first thing I’d do when I received my yearbook was flip to the index and find what pages my picture could be found. Freshman year of High School was so exciting because it was my very first hard-bound, mark of getting older. The minute that book was in my hands I raced to those final pages but, much to my chagrin, one solitary number was beside my name. I felt so disappointed to know that my grand legacy of high school-hood was only documented by one less-than-memorable school photo. As sophomore year began, I was determined to get my picture in those coveted activity pages.


    During this year, I got my first big role in a play. I was cast as "Motherella", the evil step-mother in a one-act entitled, Cinderella wore Combat Boots. A friend and I had too much fun designing Motherella’s hair and makeup. I ended up wearing an unflattering rainbow-colored Mumu with huge ratted hair, a unibrow, a giant mole, and a slight mustache.


    When I received my yearbook for sophomore year, I was ecstatic to see TWO whole page numbers by my name. Hurriedly, I flipped to the activity page my name was listed. Not only was that unibrow, mole, and mustache documented for the ENTIRE school… the photographer also caught me at this angle where my double chin was very pronounced. Actually, it wasn’t even a double chin… it looked like my chin sort of just melted into my neck. I was mortified! My first thought was to call my best friend for comfort.


Our phone call:


ME: Heather… turn to page 245 (page number has been changed)


HEATHER: (flipping through her yearbook) What?


ME: Do you see that picture?


HEATHER: The one of that ugly dude?


ME: Heather! THAT’S ME!!!!!!!


HEATHER: (Pauses. Then, in the background through a muffled reciever I hear uncontrollable bellowing laughter)

The moral of the story: Be careful what you wish for!!! You may wish for an immortalizing  sparkling portrait that others will envy and never forget… and end up as “that ugly dude”.


...That no one will ever forget.

5 comments:

Williamson's said...

ok your phone conversation made me lol. I love that your an overachiever it makes me feel normal

Mele said...

I am glad I'm not the only over-doer! I can totally relate. I love your stories, you are so good with words Krystle! I'm sure your picture wasn't as bad as you think. P.S. You are goregous!

janae said...

OH MY GOSH, yours is worse!! I did a post about my yearbook about a year and half ago, and my story is similar, but yours is worse. SO FUNNY!! I love it. Thanks for sharing that.

http://samueljanae.blogspot.com/2010/06/yearbooks.html

Chris Kramer said...

Yes! A new nickname. Haha. Can't wait to read more of your stories.

Gardners said...

That was great, I love getting to know you better though your blog! love ya!