Monday, January 9, 2012

Adventures in Rexburg

     So, today was an adventure. At the moment, Barry’s scooter is in need of a new battery so he has been taking our van to school. But, I’m not one of those home-bodies; I like to go out. So, today I decided I would drive him to school. So, today was my FIRST time driving in Rexburg! And I seriously felt like I was in a video game! There were students popping out of nowhere, all over the place! They just launched themselves into the street, and I had to dodge them like those giant cannon bullets in Mario!



     It made me realize just how “small-town” I am. I’ve never lived close to a real university, and the only time I’ve been on a university campus was as a teenager for EFY (Especially for Youth Camp) at BYU-Provo. So, this is a crazy, surreal experience seeing ALL these people. After we dropped Barry off, Grayson asked me, concerned- “Mommy, why is everyone walking?”


     We’re just not used to this! And I don’t know how Barry can say this, since he’s from Utah where there are a billion colleges, but he’s never been to a college campus during an active semester, so this is quite an adventure for our whole family. I feel like we live in an ant farm… everyone is just walking. ALL the time. EVERYWHERE.


     But the best part of the day, was about five minutes after we were all in the car, on the way to drop Barry off, we realized I had grabbed the car keys that just happened not to have a house key on it. GREAT. So we called the Manager.


Who didn’t answer.


     We decided Barry would just call me when he got out of school, and then I realized I didn’t have my phone. (On my first day out alone! Grrrrreat.)


     So, for five hours I had to keep the kids entertained. This meant a highly nerve-grating trip to find a jacket at the Deseret Industries Thrift store, where the kids thought it was hilarious to climb out under the dressing room door and hide while I was changing, and Laycee’s incessant screaming (she never screams), because she pooped. And, of course, I left all the diaper stuff out in the car. Then, after using my extra-great parenting skills of bribing my kids to behave with ice cream, we spent an hour-and-a-half at McDonald’s, where I didn’t have a phone to text or talk to anybody, and the only other person in the play place didn’t speak English.


So Fun.


     Then after dodging bullets again to pick up Barry, we drove to our manager’s house (who finally answered the phone), to pick up the spare key. It was dark. It was cold. And the key didn’t work.


     The kids and I piled back into the car while Barry did the guy thing of trying the same not-working key, but hoping for a different result. But then, my smarter-than-the-average bear thought to pull out his Maverick Gas Card and jimmy the lock. And we finally made it inside.


     I feel so safe knowing that the contents of our entire lives open to a thin piece of plastic. And now that knowledge is posted online for everyone and anyone to read. :P


    Anyway, I think I’ll stay home tomorrow.

1 comment:

The Peterson's said...

Oh yeah Rexburg! Oh and those students never look to see if a car is coming they just walk knowing they are the biggest thing in the road and would never be hurt. Good times! I have many great memories from there and I know you will too!