Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Kids do the darndest things

You may have already seen the video Barry posted on his facebook page, but I had to share the story anyway. After church this past Sunday, we were all sitting around in the living room. Out of the blue, Jaye starts wailing and saying, "My nose! My nose!"

Of course we asked, "did you put something in it?" And she sheepishly nodded. Really? We both looked in her nose and couldn't find anything, so then Barry went searching for the flashlight. What was that? Something green was stuffed up there pretty deeply.

Thinking back on what she had been playing with earlier in the day, I realized it was a flower bud from fake flowers, about the size of a kidney bean. Seriously, how did looking at this weird green thing connect to the thought, "hey, this would be fun to painfully shove up my nose"? We tried the old trick, plug one nostril and blow, but apparently Jaye doesn't have a strong pair of lungs. It didn't budge.

Immediately, my thoughts were, "well, I guess we have to go to the Doctor on a Sunday." But my husband, in his stubborness assured me, "I can get it out." (I didn't believe him, but let him try anyway.) With a pair of tweezers he manuevered the bud around until he found the hole, where it was attached to the plant. He said, "I need something that would fit in there," and left in search of something.

When I saw him pull out my sewing box, I started protesting. "You are NOT going to shove a needle up our daughter's nostril!" But Dr. Dad was supremely confident in his skills, and chose to ignore me. As he walked closer, I (in the calmest voice I could muster at the moment) told Jaye to cover her eyes and don't look. I held her down,while she covered her eyes, and watched as my husband started the removal.

All I could imagine was the social services questioning us at the hospital, while we tried to explain that the bleeding from her nose was caused by a needle that we put in there! But while I was fantasizing the worst-case scenario... POP! The bud came out with a beaming proud smile by my husband with that look of "I told you so."

Jaye was so shaken. She just laid there for a few minutes silently.

Well good. I'm glad she was shaken. Maybe that'll will stop her from doing that again.

1 comment:

KymandKalab said...

I shoved a bead up my nose when I was about 4 and of course started crying until it got sucked WAY up there. Before my mom took me to the doctor I sneezed hard and it came flying out. Moral of the story -I never shoved anything up my nose again. So I hope Jaye doesn't either -poor girl.