Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Luck o' the Irish!

A while ago, I mentioned to someone that I wanted to get Grayson a Happy Saint Patty's day shirt and the person informed me that I was not Irish, therefore should not celebrate the Holiday! That's just absurd! I have always decked out in full-green attire for the day so as not to get pinched (Why that is the tradition... anyone know?). And ever since I can remember, my parents made Brinner (Breakfast for dinner) for the Holiday and dyed everything Green. And I mean everything. Green Eggs and pancakes all the way down to green milk. Green milk is actually very hard to swallow, it just seems so wrong.

This is a tradition I have wanted to pass on to my family, but Tuesdays just happen to be Barry's early class. On Tuesdays, I pick him up from work at five, we hurry home so he can change, and then he's off to a 5:30 class. I wanted to make Brinner, but that's a timely meal, and I didn't want to wait till he got home from class because Grayson would be asleep so I decided to go with sandwiches. GREEN chicken salad sandwiches. It looked so gross... almost worse than green milk. But I served it all on green dinnerware and we drank green Koolaid and had green jello for dessert. It was fun. But seeing green chicken may not be the best thing for a pregnant person... ICK. I love Holidays!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is crazy! You don't have to be Irish to celebrate St. Patrick's day! My mom always did the green milk too, it's lots of fun! Were you able to keep the green chicken down?!

KymandKalab said...

That's ridiculous that someone told you that! I'm not Irish either but I wear a Celtic ring that I asked for for Christmas. (It just so happens to be green because that is my birthstone). Kalab is Irish and Scottish but even if he wasn't I would still celebrate the day. I love green and I love the Brinner idea. My mom used to do that too. I'm not happy with the person who told you that? Also... I don't think I could have drank green milk- that would have grossed me out.

Mom Ricks said...

Everyone is Irish on
St. Patrick's Day, it's so fun to wear a bit of the green, speak with an accent and yes, even drink green milk!