Monday, March 21, 2011

FHE idea

I don’t know about you but I have a difficult time doing a lesson for little kids for Family Home Evening. My kids are difficult to entertain, but I found an idea online that sounded fun, tried it out tonight, and it was a success!


Here it is if you want to use it!

Beforehand, do some research for pictures. Find clipart pictures or regular pics of showing love (such as cleaning the house, picking up toys, giving hugs, etc) and pictures that don’t show love (pushing, whining, making bad messes, etc). Cut them out. You will also need a poster of some sort (I just used an 11x14 poster board, and either glue sticks and/or tape.

THE LESSON:

Start off by singing “Love at Home”. Explain what “Love at Home” means and discuss ways we can show love. Then, show pictures of Jesus performing different acts of love, and explain how by showing love at home, we are being like Jesus.

Have your family take turns drawing the pictures you cut out from a bag, and have them decide if it shows love at home or not. If it does, have them glue it on to the “Love at Home” poster. Grayson had a ton of fun looking at the pictures and telling me all about them, and he got all of them right too! (I’m a proud mama!) And although Jaye can’t talk, she still (with help) managed the glue stick well and had fun putting them on the poster.

When we were through, I had them point to different pictures and tell me what about it was showing Love. Then I asked them to try and remember to show love at home, and had them hang it on the fridge.



*SIMPLE!* And now if they are bad, I can take them to the poster and talk about it with a visual! YAY!



If any of you mothers of young children have FHE ideas, PLEASE share them with me! I’m still a work in progress!

2 comments:

Christian, Kerri, & The Boys said...

What a great idea!!

janae said...

We always use the church's Nursery Manual (it's called Behold Your Little Ones and costs $5.50). The lessons take all of five minutes to prepare, and have all the songs/finger games/visual aids/coloring pictures that you need. Easy, quick, and perfect for little kids. If you don't have it, you have to get it. Here's a link to buy it online:

http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product3_10705_10551_22019_-1__195607

Good luck!