Sunday, July 26, 2009

Another long, drawn-out sigh from me.

Every once in a while, I just have to lay all my gripes about the world down on the table... here goes.

The other day, a girl in our musical showed up wearing a "Rolling Stones" tee shirt. My husband asked her if she even really liked the Rolling Stones. The girl blushed and admitted that she had never really heard any of their music. She was just wearing it because it's trendy right now to wear classic band shirts.

The other night, I was in the dressing room with the women of our cast when I over heard a group of high school girls making fun of another high school girl in the show because she didn't drink alcohol. One of the girls actually said she was going to be "the forty-year old virgin". That blew my mind. I had to stand up for the girl so I told them that I had never in my life tasted alcohol. Before they could say anything, the GROWN-UP women gasped and asked if I was serious. Then told me how neat they thought that was... everyone was so shocked!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but still- I am. It's just hard for me to fathom that A) fashion and media is strong enough to get people to wear clothes they don't even like and B) that not drinking is such a shock. What is wrong with the world! Is it really that hard to enjoy life without the assistance of alcohol? Hmmmm...

And my last gripe for the night..... I hate laundry.

4 comments:

Emily said...

it is now 10:15, I did 6 loads of laundry (how did I let it get that bad) and I have put one basket away...sigh..

I do know what you man about the alcohol thing. Crazy huh? Since when has having values and morals been the bad thing?

*****Cute new pic, by the way!!*****

Becktacular Duo! said...

Love the new pic!

Yeah, about the alcohol thing, people here in Kansas are pretty shocked that I don't drink. In fact, it's almost difficult to make friends, because everyone makes friends in bars and by drinking the night away. One of my internships right now is doing drama therapy with recovering alcoholics, and let me just tell you- it's better to never start.

But-- what show are you doing? Keep me posted, and I hope all is well! Hugs!

Sarah said...

Try doing laundry when you have 2 children to take care of, I have to consciously make it a goal to dedicate an entire day to completing laundry. And it never seems to go away!! It just keeps piling up, this neverending mountain of dirty clothes!

I hate it when people only listen to music that's on the radio and refuse to open their minds to music that isn't so popular. Since Noah coaches at the high school we're always around stupid kids that close their minds to good music. So I get you.

Emily said...

PS It is now Tuesday and I still haven't put away anymore laundry. double sigh...