Sunday, April 17, 2011

Medical short stories

1)    About a month ago, my son’s finger happened to be in the way of a very heavy door. He smashed his fingernail, and for the past month we have watched as his nail turned to a very unsightly bluish-purple. Yesterday, it finally fell off, to the complete shock of my son. He cried, and begged for a band aid. Dr. Dad administered the bandage, but every once in a while he notices, “hey, my finger kind of hurts,” and gets upset again. Today, as we were sitting down to dinner, Grayson noticed his finger was hurting and began to do that in between whining and crying sound. We told him that we would pray for his finger to feel better, and he immediately folded his arms in faith. Dr. Dad gave the prayer, and as soon as we said amen, Grayson looked at us bewildered, and said, “it still hurts!”



I think I know what the next topic of family home evening will be…





2)  Since Grayson associates doctors with being sick, he calls Dr. Pepper: Sick Soda. We've tried to explain that Dr. Pepper doesn't have anything to do with being sick, but you know how kids and their little imaginations are.

   Barry came down with the stomach flu this weekend. Today he sadly explained to the kids why he wouldn’t be joining us for church, he wasn’t feeling well. As I was driving the kiddos to church, Grayson said, “Mommy, Daddy was naughty.”


Of course I asked, “why?”


“Because he drank sick soda, and now he’s not feeling well.”

What do you say to that?

4 comments:

Christian, Kerri, & The Boys said...

LOL, Grayson is such a Character!

The Baker Bunch said...

Sick soda is a good one. Lizzie took it the other way when she was younger. She called all doctors "Dr. Pepper" and even said it to our pediatricians face :) Gotta love kids!

The Baker Bunch said...

Okay, now it is not fair! Ever since reading your blog I have been craving a Dr. Pepper! I really don't even like Dr. Pepper! But now I have to bundle the kids up and take them out in the rain so I can get one. Sometimes being pregnant drives me crazy!

Rachel @ The Little Blue Room said...

Those Ricks kids sure know how to keep the drama going, don't they?! Jordan does the same thing when she gets hurt. She can even turn on the tears over a scab she has had for weeks!
I'll always think of you guys when I see Dr.Pepper. So funny! Stay away from that sick soda!