Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Do people think before they speak?

    It seems like now that I’m really starting to show, people are starting to notice my family more and more. Like the guy who saw me struggling to get both of my kids out of the car and told me we looked like a clown car, because the kids just kept on coming. Or the random comments at Walmart to me and Barry as our kids beg us for pennies for the donation vortex thing… “Wow, you really have your hands full!”



Or today…


     I was trying to kill some time so I took the kids to the “Family Dollar” store. Of course, the toy display is the first thing you see when you walk in, and immediately Grayson got the “I wanna’s!” He usually isn’t so whiney, but we kept him up LATE for the Fourth of July, so today was especially bad. Trying to evade an argument, I told him maybe we could get whatever he was showing me at the moment, for his upcoming birthday.


That didn’t work.


     He started pouting, and dragging his feet, and trying to hide in the clothes rack, or just yell, “PLEASE MOMMY! I WANT IT!” Jaye is also trying to exercise her independence by walking, so she was fighting to stand up in the cart. I would make her sit down and she would start whining and stand up in defiance- over and over and over. One of the workers came up to me after studying my kids, then asked (in a very judgmental tone), “When’s the next one coming?” I politely answered: August 12.


And the woman started laughing at me. It was one of those cackles where you can just hear her brain saying, “Good luck, lady!”


     I was kind of embarrassed. I got in the car in a bit of a huff and was giving myself the pep talk- I know three kids will be hard, but I can do it! I felt like the Little Engine that Could. Then I got home to the pile of dishes, and the mountains of laundry, and the mess of a house… and I got a little worried.


    But today, the kids had combed hair, matching clothes, shoes on the right feet (without socks, though) and I even managed to feed and bath them... so maybe there’s hope for me after all.

4 comments:

The Bundy's said...

Hang in there! I get the same comments. People ask how old my kids are and I tell them 3,2, and 3 months and I see the looks on their faces but I wouldn't change my life for the world and especially not for snooty people. 3's not so hard....it can be intimidating but don't let it get ya :o)

The Peterson's said...

If anyone can do it, it is you! And the answer is no most people don't think before their mouth opens!

The Baker Bunch said...

As if we don't already know that we are crazy, we don't need others pointing it out! I'm scared out of my mind some days to have three kids, but others I feel like super woman and I can do anything. When it comes down to it, all a child really needs is love, and I know you've got plenty of that to go around!

KymandKalab said...

Oh my gosh! I seriously think I would have punched that lady at the Family Dollar. You have such restraint. That is just so rude. And of course you can do it- you're an AMAZING mom!