Monday, March 17, 2008

There is Hope.

Lately, the same topic has come up in nearly every conversation I have had with friends. We are scared to raise our children in such a dark world. It seems that kids are just getting worse and worse and we were all thinking of ways to prevent our kids from immorality. In one conversation, I said that I didn't date anyone until I was 18. But this wasn't my choice... I was a nerd! If I could have dated earlier, I would have. So we decided that maybe this is the key. Maybe we should raise nerds. Take Grayson for instance. I could dress him in tight, high-water jeans, plaid button-up shirts with a sweater vest, glasses with tape, part his hair down the middle and teach him to be completely awkward. Then, after his mission, we'll sit him down and explain what we did and why, then go on a huge shopping spree. Turn him into El Suave, and then he can meet a beautiful girl and get married. Isn't that a great plan! It is completely flawless!

On a side-note, I've been reading my chapter for psychology today, it's entitled: "Intelligence". I read that 75% of mentally retarded children are this way because of social- cultural deprivation. Meaning, it's the parents fault. "Almost all persons with mild retardation come from families (who) fail to provide them with adequate intellectual stimulation, such as discussing current events with them, encouraging them to read, helping them with homework, and taking them on trips to the zoo, museums, and other educational settings. They are also more likely to attend inferior schools, suffer from malnutrition, and lack adequate medical care- all of which can impair intellectual growth." 75%!!!! I couldn't believe it! All this week, I've been talking about how scared I am to raise my children in this world, but this chapter made me realize why I am raising my kids in this world. Look what my husband and I can offer! Look what my friends can offer their children! We don't have to be geniuses, rich, own big houses, or be perfect to be what our kids need. They just need our love (and some intellectual stimulation) and they'll be better off than those 75%. The world is a SCARY place, but that doesn't mean our kids will contribute to it. But just to be safe... I'm still gonna raise some nerds.

2 comments:

Mom Ricks said...

Your thoughts remind me of a story my mother told me about herself, cousins and friends when they were teenagers. They were visiting with her grandmother Jeanette Smithson Smith in Henrieville, Utah. It was during the early years of WWII. The girls said that they didn't want to bring any children into this world because it was so terrible. Their grandmother gave them sound advice. Don't let the ways of the world keep you from experiencing the most wonderful gift of being a parents and having a loving family.
I personally have found that making your own home a safe haven is the best answer to that. What you do, and how you live within the walls of your own home can shut out all the evil of the world.
The Lord will continue to bless those that live his commandments. Just remember, even if the world has more evil than ever before, this is the FULLNESS of times, for Spitiuality and goodness too!
Luv Ya, Mom Ricks

Branch said...

Hahaha!!! I think that sounds like a great idea. I want to make sure Himaya wears nothing but turtlenecks and pants (or ankle-length dresses) until she is about 21. Maybe that will keep the guys away from her.