Friday, May 16, 2008

Ignorance is bliss...?

I had a traumatic experience with doctors when I was in the fourth grade... To make the story quick, I almost died. I think that experience has given me a life-long fear of doctors... and dentists. I have this mindset where if I have some sort of physical problem, if I wait long enough, it will just go away. It's either wait... or go to the doctor's-YIKES! About two weeks ago, I awoke to find I couldn't open my mouth very far, if I tried to open wide it would feel like someone was slamming me in the face with a hammer. I waited three days... eventually I could open my mouth, but it morphed into this horrible and constant pain. I waited about a week. Barry got sick of my waiting, so he scheduled an appointment with the dentist. I went, and the dentist seemed really surprised when he opened my mouth and found a nickel-sized abcess. He said that a piece of bone must have chipped off when they removed my wisdom teeth and now it is floating around under my skin and caused a terrible infection. Doesn't that sound lovely?

Now I don't know whether to shake my head at the surgeon who chipped my bone and add him to the list of reasons why I dislike doctors, or should I be grateful to the dentist who discovered the problem and add a point to the miniscule list of "reasons why I like doctors"? Hmmmm... Either way... I hurt. Bad.

4 comments:

Elise said...

Krystle!! I am so so sorry. What a nightmare. Who fixed it? Lasen or Kanona? They're both good.

Unknown said...

That stinks. I'm glad you found out what it was. I hope that you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey cute cute blog!

Sarah said...

You know, I feel the same way about doctors. The first time I went to the hospital was when I had Dagny and I'm grateful for my doctor because he delivered her and she was healthy, but because of him I delivered a 9 lb baby instead of a 7 lb one and had an incredibly rough recovery. I had an abscess in an awkward spot, but I kinda know how you feel. I hope you feel better and it gets taken care of!